bideford logo

History of Bideford Town


Charles Kingsley Statue

It was in the 16th century that a genuine attempt to establish the crossing as a monument of permanence was made. It was rebuilt in stone and widened, thus taking on the shape which is now familiar today. The bridge is built at a slight angle, perhaps to give it added strength to withstand the forces of the tides. History tells us that in the 13th century there was a chapel at each end, one to St Mary the Virgin and the other to All Saints. The arches vary in size, perhaps because of the fluctuating amount of money available at the time of construction.

The Saga of Roanoke and the ‘Lost’ Colony


1584 - The First Voyage - Discovery of Roanoke


Roanoke Island Native AmericanOn April 27, 1584, Captains Philip Amadas and Arthur Barlowe left Plymouth to explore the North American coast for Sir Walter Raleigh. The party of explorers landed on July 13, 1584, on the North Carolina coast, just south of Roanoke Island, and took possession of the country for Queen Elizabeth. On the fourth day they were visited by Granganimeo, brother of Wingina, chief of the Roanoke Island Indians. After a short period of trading, Barlowe and seven others went by boat to Roanoke Island at the north end of which they found an Indian village, where the town of Manteo now stands. Two Indians, Wanchese and Manteo, were persuaded to return to England to meet Raleigh and Queen Elizabeth I.
 

♦Delivering the information you need about our decision making processes and supporting community participation in local democracy♦

♦ Helping to make the beautiful Town of Bideford a better place to live and work in! ♦


Bideford - A Fairtrade Town


fairtrade & Living Wage employers

Fairtrade is about equitable pricing, good work conditions, sustainability and fair trading for farmers and workers in the developing world. Bideford is a registered Fairtrade Town - Support local and world farmers - look for the fairtrade logo on your shopping items.

Visit the site...

facebook twitter instagram

 

 

© Bideford Town Council 2015 Gingerweb Ltd site design and SEO In North Devon