Agenda - Town Council Meeting - Thursday 20 January 2022
You are hereby summoned to attend a Meeting of Bideford Town Council to be held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Bideford, on Thursday 20 January 2022 at 6.30 pm for the purpose of transacting the following business.
In accordance with The Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960 members of the public are welcome to attend. There is a legal right to film/record/photograph/report public meetings.
Clerk to the Council
1. To accept apologies and reasons for absence.
2. To receive declarations of interest on items on the agenda and note the requests for dispensation received by the Clerk prior to the meeting.
3. Public participation session of 15 minutes duration on items submitted prior to the meeting by Bideford residents, which fall within the scope of the Council’s activities.
5. Accounts - To approve the payments listed.
6. To receive a presentation from Tim Steer, Bideford Heritage Railway Centre: 'Restoring your Railway - Bideford to Barnstaple, main line service'.
7. To receive the verbal report from the Police on issues within the parish.
8. To receive the written report from the County Councillor on issues within the parish.
9. To receive such communications as the Town Mayor / Town Clerk may wish to lay before the Council.
10. Staffing, Finance & General Purposes Committee - to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 06 January 2022
(Minute Nos 91, 95, 96, 102 (Precept) are recommendations)
11. To consider cancelling the Manor Court Ceremony for 2022 in light of the current Covid-19 and Omicron variant situation.
12. Planning Committee – to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 05 January 2022.
13. Decarbonisation and Environment Committee - to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 11 January 2022.
14. Market Committee - to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 13 January 2022.
15. Tourism Committee - to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 18 January 2022.
16. To receive the Bideford Town Centre Partnership notes from the meeting held on 12th January 2022.
17. Torridge District Council – To receive an update on Torridge District Council activities by one of the Councillors.
18. To receive an update on Bridge Trust activities by one of the Trustees.
Report – Agenda item 11
The recommendation to cancel Manor Court for 2022 was discussed at the Staffing, Finance and General Purposes Committee on 6th January 2022 under the Chairman’s items:
The Chairman advised that he had discussed the Manor Court Ceremony with the Town Clerk and given the current Covid situation, it may be prudent to regretfully cancel the ceremony. He asked the Town Clerk to explain further.
The Town Clerk advised that the rising number of Covid 19 cases, and the necessity to isolate, could make the logistics of the ceremony very difficult if either the staff, speaker or Jurors needed to isolate at the last minute.
Consideration should also be given as to whether to hold an indoor event given the rising levels of Covid 19 and the very transmissible variants. The Council’s Covid risk assessment will require seated guests to wear face coverings and attendees to provide evidence of negative covid test before the Ceremony.
Logistically there will be difficulties with space, especially when seating the Jurors. The Pannier Market was suggested as a venue, but disregarded as Manor Court takes place on a Saturday, which is a market day.
Committee Members agreed that this should be placed on the Town Council agenda with a view to cancelling the ceremony for 2022.
Prayers will be said by Reverend Marisa Cockfield, Team Vicar from St Mary’s Church, in the Council Chamber at 6.20 pm, prior to the start of the meeting. Councillors and Members of the Public are invited to participate if they so wish.
When attending please ensure that you:
• Sanitise your hands on entry to this building (sanitiser is provided).
• Wear a face covering at all times unless you carry an Exemption card.
• Complete a Track & Trace Form or use the NHS QR Code provided.
• Sanitise your hands on entering the meeting room (sanitiser is provided).
• Sit away from others.