Bideford Library Reading Group
1st Wednesday in the month at 2pm - New members always welcome. Our readers' group started in June 2003 with a core membership of seven. From the start they have been a really enthusiastic group and everyone always has lots of titles to suggest, not necessarily for us all to read as a group, but to share ideas on what makes a good read. We generally order in single copies of recommended reads and these are passed round and borrowed. We also take it in turns to choose one book for us all to read and discuss at the next meeting. We meet once a month - first Wednesday in the month at 2pm in Bideford Library - new members always welcome.
We also hold Library Events - for example:
Popular crime and mystery writer Kate Ellis met readers at Bideford library in September 2009. Ellis who bases her popular Detective series in Dartmouth (South Devon) told readers about how she started writing, where she got her inspiration from and about the characters in her novels.
Her interest in history gave her the idea of incorporating historical events with present day crimes. Towards the end of the event Kate signed copies of her books for keen and very happy readers.
Devon EX39 2HR
Tel: 01237 476075
Renewals: 0845 155 1001
Fax: 01237 476 075
Librarians in Charge:
Rose Arno - Wed / Thu / Fri
Margaret Shambrooke - Mon / Tue
Group Manager: Paula Mardo
Services offered at the Library
- Adult and children's books for loan
- Reference and information books and leaflets
- Local Studies materials
- PCs with Internet, email and word processing/Office
- Specially adapted computer for people with disabilities
- Music CDs
- Audio Books (Spoken word) on cassettes and CD
- Language courses
- Requests service - books, music and film
- Community Noticeboard
- Limited Display/exhibition space
- Bideford Buzz Community newsletter
- Reading Group
- Children's Book Clubs
- Activities and events for children
- Disability Access Accessibility Lift access for disabled people via the adjacent Town Hall until 7pm Mondays and Thursdays (please ring the bell). All internal public areas accessible, including access to toilet for disabled people. Off street car parking within 25 metres.
- HearingThere is a hearing loop at the counter.
For further information visit our page at http://www.devon.gov.uk/bideford_library
Check out the website for the local community newsletter - 'The Bideford Buzz'