The Calendar of Future Meetings can be viewed on the final page of this section.
Public participation Sessions of 15 minutes are held prior to the start of each public meeting.
For Committee Meetings questions may only be raised on items on the agenda.
For Full Town Council meetings, items which fall within the scope of the Council's activities may be raised by Bideford Residents. Participants will be asked to read the Bideford Town Council Code of Conduct (or available at the meeting), and to complete a pro-forma stating their name and address and item to be raised.
The protocol on the filming and recording of Council and Committee Meetings can be viewed here
Town Council Agenda - 19 September 2019
You are hereby summoned to attend a Meeting of Bideford Town Council to be held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Bideford, on Thursday 19 September 2019 at 6.30 pm for the purpose of transacting the following business.
In accordance with The Public Bodies (Admissions to Meetings) Act 1960 members of the public are welcome to attend. There is a legal right to film/record/photograph/report public meetings.
Clerk to the Council
1. To accept apologies and reasons for absence.
2. To receive declarations of interest on items on the agenda and note the requests for dispensation received by the Clerk prior to the meeting.
3. Public participation session of 15 minutes duration on items submitted prior to the meeting by Bideford residents, which fall within the scope of the Council’s activities.
4. To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 8 August 2019 as a correct record.
5. Accounts - To approve the payments listed.
6. To receive the report from the County Councillor on issues within the parish.
7. To receive a presentation from The Chamber of Commerce.
8. To receive such communications as the Town Mayor / Town Clerk may wish to lay before the Council.
9. Staffing, Finance & General Purposes Committee - to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 5 September 2019 (Minute Numbers 046, 050 and 051 are recommendations).
10. Planning Committee –
a. to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 28 August 2019
b. to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 18 September 2019
11. Market Management Committee – to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2019.
12. De-carbonisation and Environment Committee – to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 10 September 2019. – (All items are recommendations).
13. Tourism Committee –
a. to approve and adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 3 September 2019.
(All items are recommendations).
b. to consider and resolve upon booking the Jonathan Marshall Free Spirit Show, at a cost of £1,000 for two shows as a result of information gathered following the Tourism Committee Meeting at the request of Committee Members.
14. To appoint a representative to serve as a nominative Trustee on the Bridge Trust from September 2019.
15. To receive correspondence which indicates that the registration for Bideford as a Fairtrade Town has lapsed and to agree whether Bideford Town Council would like to nominate a lead Councillor for Fairtrade with a view to setting up a steering Group.
16. Notice of Motion – Councillor Mrs Corfe:
To source and provide a metal structure in Victoria Park Bideford that will be used for members of the public to dispose of plastic waste. This will be similar to the one in Westward Ho! but I propose the structure to be a boat.
17. Torridge District Council – To receive an update on Torridge District Council activities by one of the Councillors.
18. To receive an update on Bridge Trust activities by one of the Trustees.
Reflective silence will be held by Jacqui Poole of the Quakers at 6.20 pm prior to the Town Council meeting. Councillors are invited to participate if they so wish.
At the last Tourism Meeting, Committee Members agreed that it was important to have a “Showstopper” for the next Bideford Fair. Since the meeting, the Town Clerk’s Assistant has investigated the questions raised regarding the Jonathan Marshall Free Spirit Show where he performs with Spanish horses and Falcons together in a spectacular showstopper (ww.jonathanmarshallshows.com)
• Is the Show available for 8th August 2020
• Is the Arena in Victoria Park big enough
• Will the horses hooves damage the grass in Victoria Park
• How much is the Show.
The Show is available for 8th August and the arena is big enough. The horses hooves will not damage the turf as the animals are not shod (they regularly perform on Saunton Sands lawn with no damage). The cost is £1,000 for two shows during the course of the day.
Members need to resolve upon whether they wish a reservation to be made for 8th August, as the date cannot be held without a firm reservation.
Mr Sims, Bideford Bridge Trust has advised that Councillor Brenton’s term as a nominative Trustee has expired. The Town Council may therefore nominate a further nominative Trustee from September 2019.