Support for Ukrainian Refugees - Information Page
Torridge and the wider Devon community has a history of supporting displaced families from around the world and in recent years has welcomed refugees from Syria and Afghanistan. Torridge District Council has pledged to do what they can to support people escaping the war in Ukraine which is being coordinated by the Government. All the latest initiatives, types of support and how people can get involved can be found below.
The UK Disasters Emergency Committee has launched its Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal, drawing together funding and action across major charities and Non-Governmental Organisations to support people displaced through the conflict. The government has pledged to match up to £20 million of any donations from the public.
The fastest way to donate to a DEC appeal is by donating online. Visit https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/ukraine-humanitarian-appeal
Alternatively you can call 01204 770822, or use other ways to donate. https://dechelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200731191-Donations-Gift-Aid
You can also make a donation via the Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal
To make a donation towards the UN's humanitarian work, please visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief
If you are interested in providing accommodation for refugees you can register your interest here: Homes for Ukraine - Homes for Ukraine - Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine (campaign.gov.uk) The link also contains some Frequently Asked Questions for accommodation providers.
Another site is hosted by the The Pickwell Foundation who alongside the volunteer community groups have supported helping refugees to resettle in Northern Devon for the last 5 years through Community Sponsorship.
The aim of their website is to provide information and resources to help you if you are planning on becoming a sponsor (having someone stay in a property you own), or a member of a support group (the wrap-around care for the sponsor and individual/family), for a Ukrainian guest/s. Based on their experience it outlines the main areas of support those that are resettling are likely to need. It gives questions to consider, signposts to resources and advice from other volunteers with experience. https://www.northdevonwithukraine.co.uk/
- If you are a resident with friends and family in Ukraine and need information or support about what is happening please contact the Ukrainian Embassy
- Wings Southwest Charity Bideford Ukrainian Hub - A place for those displaced by the war in Ukraine to meet, chat and receive help. Bideford Ukrainian Hub (wingscharity.com)
- If you have a child in a Devon school who is affected by the crisis, please talk to your child's teachers about any concerns you have and support you would like the school to provide
- For information on travel advice to and from Ukraine visitGOV.UK
- Find immigration advice on temporary concessions for Ukrainian nationals applying to join a family route at GOV.UK and https://www.gov.uk/government/news/further-support-for-ukrainians-fleeing-russia-invasion
Devon County Council's Website is also a good source for the latest information and provides wider background and links.
Thank you for your support.
Updated: 30 March 2022