Minutes of the Meeting of the Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group held in the Council Chamber, Town Hall, Bideford on Wednesday 26 February 2020
Cllr J Herron
Cllr Mrs S Langford
Cllr R Wootton
Cllr Mrs R Craigie
Cllr Mrs K Corfe
Mrs H Blackburn (Town Clerk)
Mrs C Parsons (Administration Assistant)
Cllr C Hawkins
2 x members of the Public
037. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillor J Craigie (East Ward – Personal)
038. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
There were no declarations of interest received.
039. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION
There were 2 members of the public in attendance.
The minutes of the meeting held on 8 January 2020 were approved and signed as a correct record.
(Vote – For: 4, Against: 0, Abstentions: 1)
041. NOTES FROM INFORMAL MEETING ON 23 JANUARY 2020 WITH A REPRESENTATIVE OF BRAUNTON’S NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN
The notes from the informal meeting which took place on 23 January 2020 were
circulated with the agenda. Councillor Langford commented that this meeting had been worthwhile, being able to ask questions and gather information as Braunton were further along in the process. It was interesting to see how Braunton had approached the Neighbourhood Plan.
042. RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS FROM REPRESENTATIVE OF SOUTH MOLTON’S NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN STEERING GROUP FOR NOTING
The responses were circulated with the agenda for information. Members thought the responses to be useful.
Councillor Herron picked up on one of the responses that mentioned the community in South Molton were very much against the size of housing developments being built or planned to be built. He felt this would also be the case in Bideford.
Councillor Corfe felt that housing would be one of the main issues of concern in Bideford.
Councillor Langford commented that once the Open Day events had taken place, there should be a clearer idea of the key themes to be included in the Neighbourhood Plan. A consultant could then be brought on board.
043. OPEN DAY EVENT ON WEDNESDAY, 25 MARCH 2020
Members viewed the draft posters and survey for the Open Day event for approval before circulation. The following amendments were made:
a. “Have your Say Day” poster
It was agreed that:
• a link to an online survey with the survey questions be put on the bottom of the poster as an option for those unable to attend the open day event.
• To explore the possibility of putting the poster in the North Devon Gazette.
It was also agreed that:
• Posters be displayed in Queen Street and the Pannier Market, and the Town Council’s social media pages.
• Each member of the Steering Group to be given posters for circulation.
• The Library, Burton at Bideford, Cafes, TTVS, CAB, Torridge District Council be approached to display posters.
• A-Boards on the day to be used for display.
• A3, A4 and A5 sizes to be printed.
• Also circulate to Businesses of Bideford Bay (B.O.B.B) and Bideford Bay Chamber of Commerce.
b. Draft Survey
It was felt that overall the draft survey was good. The questions used were the ones from the “Neighbourhood Plans Roadmap” guide. However, it was suggested that the following amendments are made to the draft Survey:
• The response boxes to be made bigger.
• Further question to be added:
“In what way would you like to see the Neighbourhood Plan help to manage “Climate Emergency”.
• Demographic Information to be added to include age ranges, in education, employed, unemployed, retired, prefer not to say tick boxes.
Members also asked for an online survey to be produced using the Survey Questions.
c. Wall Posters
Members viewed the A3 wall posters produced which would be used at the Open Day event to stimulate conversation. Members discussed producing some further one-liner wall posters to cover the following:
• Parks and Green Spaces
• Youth Spaces
Proposed by Councillor Mrs Craigie, seconded and
RESOLVED That: the amendments to the poster and survey be implemented and further wall posters be produced.
(Vote – For: 5, Against: 0, Abstentions: 0)
044. PROGRESS UPDATE ON THE SCHOOL SURVEYS
Councillor Langford advised her progress in communicating with the local schools as follows:
Bideford College had undertaken their survey across one house in all years, to be a cross section representation.
St Marys – The survey was currently in process.
East- the-Water – They had been reminded and were hoping to complete the survey in the coming weeks.
Westcroft – Their response needs chasing up.
Kingsley School – Still needed to be contacted.
b. TO RECEIVE PROGRESS UPDATE ON YOUTH CLUB SURVEY
Councillor Herron advised that he still needed to approach the Youth Club but would do so.
045. IDENTIFY THE NEXT STEPS
a. Members discussed the cover schedule for the Open Day.
It was agreed:
Councillor Herron: 11.00 – 13.00 and 17.00 - 19.00
Councillor Wootton: 11.00 – 14.00
Councillor Mrs Craigie: 11.00 – 14.00
Councillor Langford: 14.00 – 19.00
Councillor Corfe: 17.00 – 19.00
Councillor Craigie is available and offered to slot in as required
In addition, a Member of staff will be present throughout the day.
b. Members to have a stand at Bideford Fair later in the year when the survey questions and information about the Neighbourhood Plan can be on display.
c. A Working Group consisting of Councillors Mrs Craigie, Langford, Wootton and Herron meet on Thursday 26 March 2020 at 4 pm to review and collate the responses received from the surveys completed at the Open Day.
d. At the next formal meeting the Open Day event would be reviewed, along with the survey responses, and any changes that needed to be made to the format or survey for future open day events.
046. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Councillor Mrs Craigie proposed, and it was seconded and
RESOLVED That: the date of the next meeting will be held on Wednesday 16 April 2020 at 6.30 pm.
(Vote – For: 5, Against: 0, Abstentions: 0)
The business of the meeting having been completed, the Chairman thanked the members for their attendance and the meeting concluded at 6.15pm