Local Council Elections
Local council elections are to be held on Thursday, 2 May 2019. So, if you are thinking about or are interested in becoming a Town Councillor the information you require can be found below. Alternatively please contact the Town Clerk's Office on 01237 428818 for an informal chat.
Whilst it is a relatively easy process, it is strict and, if not followed exactly, will result in disappointment and rejection for the wrong reasons! The rules are there to ensure that only those who are eligible to stand for election in the community are considered and that those put forward have agreed to stand for election. Town Councillors are elected by the public and serve four year terms in office.
To be eligible to stand for election you must satisfy the following requirements:
• You need to be over 18 years of age
• A British citizen, a qualifying Commonwealth citizen, or a citizen of any other member state of the European Union.
• On the Electoral Register for the council area for which you wish to stand
• A local government elector of the parish; or a person who during the whole of the twelve months before nomination as a candidate occupied land or other premises as owner or tenant in the parish; or has, during the same period, resided in that area or within three miles thereof; or has during the same period, had a principal or only place of work in that area
You cannot stand for election if you:
• Are bankrupt and an Order or Interim Restriction Order has been imposed
• Have, within five years before the day of election, been convicted in the United Kingdom of any offence and have had a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of over three months without the option of a fine
• Work for the council where you are intending to stand for election (but you can work for other local authorities, including the principal authorities that represent the same area).
• Have been convicted or reported guilty of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court, or have been disqualified from standing for election to a local authority.
There will be a Prospective Candidates Evening on Wednesday 6 March 2019. This evening is open to for all prospective candidates thinking of standing for election.
The Notice of Election will be displayed locally by 19 March 2019.
Further useful information about the Election can be found here