Minutes of the Tourism Committee held in the Town Hall, Bideford on Tuesday 19 December 2017 at 6.00 pm
Councillor J McKenzie
Councillor S Robinson
Councillor Mrs R Craigie
Councillor D Bushby
South Ward (Outer):
Councillor D Howell (Chairman)
Mrs L Dixon-Chatfield (Town Clerk’s Asst)
055. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Councillor D McGeough (North Ward) – personal
Mrs R Benney (Atlantic Village)
056. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST ON ITEMS ON THE AGENDA
There were no declarations made at this point in the meeting.
057. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION SESSION
There were no members of the public present
The Minutes of the Meeting held on Tuesday 7th November 2017 were approved and signed as a correct record.
(Vote For: 5, Against: 0)
059. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON GATHERING FOOTAGE FOR A FILM/VIDEO OF BIDEFORD TO BE MADE AT BIDEFORD COLLEGE.
The Clerk asked if members would defer this item to the end of the meeting – all agreed.
The Clerk showed images and a video, which she said would give an idea of how to format the film. Councillor McKenzie explained that the students at Kingsley College had great skills in using imagery, all they needed was the material.
The Clerk explained that she had received good footage from most of the major events in Bideford but was awaiting something from this year’s New Years Eve as well as from the Massed Pipes and Drums, Regatta and Armed Forces Flag Raising.
The Chairman asked if members could have the images and video footage on memory sticks.
The Clerk assured members that the sticks could be ready for when the next agenda was sent out on 23 January 2018 in time for the next meeting.
060. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE PARTICIPANTS FOR THE BIDEFORD FAIR 2018
The Chairman reported that progress was being made and that the Clerk was keeping a record of all those who would be participating. He read out a list of who had confirmed.
Councillor Bushby reported that the Vintage Cars and Bikes would be attending and that he had left a message for Dr Wilson regarding the hot air balloon.
The Clerk said she would contact the Youth Pipe Band, Phoenix Morris, Kingsley Judo Club and the ND Gymnasts to see if they would like to take part. She would also contact Lucy Lowe regarding the Aerial Silks she had at the Christmas Lights Switch On. She would also look through the Grant recipients to see if there were any more suitable recipients who may like to join in for the day.
The Chairman suggested contacting event organisers to see if they wanted to bring something to the Fair. He would contact Skern Lodge to see if they could participate, as well as Intagr8. He would also ask the Majorettes if they would like to join in.
Councillor Bushby agreed that Mrs Bushby would run a tombola stall.
All members agreed that it would be good to have the Councillors at the event for an “open surgery”.
The Chairman concluded that there would be further updates at the next meeting.
061. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON A PRESS WEEKEND.
The Chairman was disappointed to announce that the weekend seemed to be failing in getting off the ground and reported that some Editors of the press would like to see the initiative as advertising and thus would prefer to make a charge.
Councillor Craigie suggested contacting Devon Life, the Chairman replied that it was on his list together with the Western Morning News. It was suggested also to contact a Bristol newspaper/periodical.
The Chairman asked the Clerk to keep the item on the Agenda to re-visit at the next meeting.
062. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE FEASIBILITY OF A ROAD TRAIN AND THE FUNDING AVAILABLE.
Councillor Bushby reported that he had met with the Town Clerk last week to identify a variety of possible routes and put them to the Police and Devon County Council for consultation. The Police, he advised, were not interested, and he had received adverse response from DCC. He explained to members that the routes identified were examples and not hard fact, and would be up for discussion.
Councillor Bushby could also report that he had heard via the Clerk that the Town Clerk had spoken with the Northam Town Clerk about the scheme, who was keen to kept informed.
Members discussed various funding opportunities.
Councillor Bushby concluded that he would be meeting again with the Town Clerk to fact find costs for tickets etc and to look at a business plan to put forward with a funding bid.
POST MEETING NOTES.
1. Councillor Mrs Craigie asked if she could mention a Christmas Fair in the Pannier Market in 2018. She informed members that it was a shame the Victorian Fair did not go ahead due to a previous booking, as that booking didn’t go ahead either. She suggested that perhaps make a start earlier on the planning to get it booked into the Pannier Market. The Chairman agreed and asked the Councillor to take it to the next Market Management meeting to discuss as a collaboration between the two committees.
The Chairman also suggested perhaps something for Easter in the Pannier Market. He informed members that there was a small pot of money in the budget left which would be good to allocate before 1st April 2018.
2. Councillor Bushby wanted to run an idea past members about advertising. He thought it would be useful to have one of the big A shaped mobile billboards to advertise events. These are the ones that are driven round and then parked up somewhere visible. The Chairman thought it a good idea and asked Councillor Bushby to investigate costings for the next meeting.
3. The Chairman had noticed that the signage had been fixed to 1 Queen Street, showing the Bideford Town Council wording and Crest. He asked the Clerk about the Interactive Display Screen. The Clerk explained that TDC had informed the Town Clerk that the window would need to be double-glazed in 2018 as part of a Government initiative to ensure all local government buildings are Energy Efficient before they are rented out.
There was some discussion regarding the difficulties this could pose. The Chairman said he would contact Andrew Waite and/or Sarah Chappell to see how this could work with the screen.
063. DATE OF NEXT MEETING.
The next Tourism Committee meeting will be Tuesday 30 January 2018.
The business of the meeting having been completed, the Chairman thanked the members for their attendance and wished them all the felicitations of the season. The meeting concluded at 6.55pm.