The Market Hall, which is approximately 1000 square metres and dates back to 1884, has recently been refurbished. It has a very light, spacious and welcoming appeal with all the stalls decorated with integral candy striped skirts and a canopy in red and white. There is a large variety of permanent stalls selling all sorts of items including toys, books, locally made pastries, cakes and preserves, local photographic prints, jewellery, games, DVDs and household goods. There is an onsite Café that sells very reasonably priced snacks, refreshments and fair trade tea coffee and hot chocolate and the hall also has indoor toilets and baby changing facilities.
Eight Studio Work Shop Units, installed in March 2016, continue the Artisan theme from Butcher's Row with tenants specialising in Arts and Craft. This exciting development has been instrumental in the Market Hall Trading being extended to Tuesdays through to Saturdays.
The Hall has lots of character and charm from the Market Clock, which is an Act of Parliament clock, still keeping good time for all the Bidefordians to set their watches by, as it has done for many generations, to the beautiful wall display describing the French twinning town of Landivisiau including a relief of their famous horses.
Various events are held in the Hall each year including the tradition of signing the lease in December when the Mayor signs the Market Lease and everyone is welcome to meet the town councillors and share a glass of mead.